Pages

1.17.2011

Lottery losers

What if you were to win the lottery?

This article made me think about the consequences of our thoughts about the value of money and the relationship it has to our happiness. We've heard it a few times, how lottery winners are often broke within a few years. Family, friends, racketeers and their own lack of knowledge about money pulls them in so many directions at once that they lose track and lose their money. It brings to question the cultural aspirations of Americans. The 'dreams' we were all raised with. Home ownership, physical trappings of wealth (cars, jewelry, fancy vacations, clothes, gadgets). But are these rational, worthwhile? Will they bring us the peace of mind we assume they create? 'If only I had a little more money, to pay off all these bills, maybe buy a few things that would make my life easier'. As with that first drink an alcoholic takes, is it ever enough? Or do we become drunk with the ease of attainment?

What's most curious is that the majority of the inhabitants of the worlds super finance and military power, are clueless about money and the creation and maintenance of wealth. Dare I say 90% of the population have no understanding of investment, how the stock market works, fiat currency, the value of property (both land and intellectual)?

There is a reason for this.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you sis. on this post. It brings to mind the idea that as humans, we always want. And that is what brings us suffering more than anything else. But if I were to win the lottery, I have a whole *list* of things I would do. LoL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!! I have a tiny lil list in my back pocket as well! LOL

    ReplyDelete