Pages

12.15.2010

Tech in the Midst of the Forest

 While driving my son to school I listened to a piece on NPR about e-books' and the survival of large and small book stores, and it got me thinking. If they are to survive, they have to adjust - it's something we all are doing (adjusting and surviving).  I love books - enjoy the way they feel, look and have fond childhood memories of reading, undisturbed, for hours. I've lugged boxes of books around with me through every stage in life, from state to state, from room to room. My bookshelves housed the image of myself, expressed my philosophical views and let everyone know 'where I stand'.

Now we are UPsizing, simplifying and one day going rural. I'm a firm adherant to 'woman of few things', so where do my paper memories fit into this lightened scheme of things? As a beautiful relic in my mind. It's one of those things I have to let go in order to gain greater flexibility and versatility. My beloved beauties are taking up valuable real estate in our living space. So I'll be investing in the electronic versions that can be lightly transported wherever I go; even in the midst of a beloved forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment