Pages

12.21.2010

Observing 'No'

How many times a day do I use the word 'No'? How often do I begin a response to my child's question with 'No'?

No, you can not go outside right now.
No, you've had too many sweets already.
No, you can't wear that dress.
No, don't play with that, staplers are dangerous.
No, I don't feel like making that right now.
No, you can't watch another episode.
No, I don't have anymore.

'No' is a reflection of the prevalence of self-imposed limitations in my own life. It's unconscious regurgitation of my mother's micro-managing style of parenting.

Yet, I'd always imagined, even daydreamed how my children would grow up differently than I; how free they'd be.

These days I want to actively observe my speech patterns and provide options rather than dead ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment